Target stores accept a variety of payment types, including:
- Business checks
- Cash: Generally, Target store team members don't accept currency or coin from foreign countries. However, depending on where the Target store is located, stores may be able to accept Canadian dollars or Mexican pesos for payment.
- Credit Cards: Target Credit Card in the issuing country only, Target® MasterCard®, Visa®, MasterCard®, Discover®/Novus®, American Express®, credit cards form foreign banks (JCB Japanese Credit Bureau), Diner’s Club International.
- Debit/ATM and EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) Cards: U.S.-issued debit/ATM cards for merchandise payment. Stores will accept Canadian debit/ATM cards with an Interac® or NYCE® logo. Some stores have the ability to perform Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) transactions.
- Gift Cards: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express® for Target Cards and Target GiftCards.
- Gift Certificates: A Target Corporation gift certificate is good in the issuing country only.
- Merchandise Voucher: When guests return merchandise to Target Guest Services in the store, they may receive a merchandise voucher to use for other merchandise. Target merchandise vouchers don't expire.
- Multiple Payment Method Sales: Store team members can accept both a credit and debit card or EBT card per sale. Credit cards can be used in the same transaction as a third-party gift card (American Express, Visa, MasterCard, etc.). Our checkout registers can process multiple credit cards in one transaction.
- Personal Checks
- Rebate Checks: Generally only pay for part of the cost of an item. Store team members will not give cash back for a rebate check.
- U.S. Traveler's Checks
- Canadian Traveler’s Checks (if store location is authorized to accept Canadian currency).
- WIC (Women, Infants and Children) Program (SuperTarget or authorized stores only).
The following payment types are not accepted at a Target store:
- Foreign Checks and Currency: Target has many stores located along international borders with Mexico and Canada. As a service to guests in these areas, Target will accept Mexican pesos and Canadian dollars in these stores. Target stores update exchange rates weekly.
- Mall Certificates and Chamber Bucks: Exception - select stores accept payments using mall certificates or chamber bucks. Call your local store to find out if they are accepted.
- Money Orders: Only accepted as payment on credit accounts.