Please note: Target will only set up a tax-exempt account for governmental, not-for-profit organizations, and other similar entities. Target’s policy is to not sell to resellers, thus resale exemption certificates will not be accepted effective May 15, 2015. A properly executed and complete certificate must be provided for your account to be set up as tax exempt.Here's how to set up your Target.com tax-exempt account:
- Create a Target.com account.
- Email the following to email@example.com or fax to 1-800-758-3132:
- Company / Organization Name
- Name (Primary Purchaser)
- Street Address
- Postal Code
- Phone Number
- Target.com Account Email Address (used to place tax-exempt orders)
- Organization Type: (Non-Profit Organization or Government)
Setting up your tax-exempt account prior to making your first order will ensure no tax is charged on the order. If you place your order prior to receiving the approval email, tax will be charged. To receive a refund for tax paid on exempt purchases, please call Target Guest Services at 1-800-591-3869.After approval, all subsequent purchases made with the account will be tax free as long as valid proof of exemption is on file for the state(s) where the items will be shipped. Additional documentation may be required if you ship to a different state.
- Include a copy of your exemption certificate or other acceptable proof of exempt status in the state where the items will be shipped per below. You'll be notified via email once your tax exempt request has been approved. It may take up to 7-10 business days.
Single Use Certificates and GSA Smart Pay Cards are only sufficient for single orders and need to be resubmitted for each purchase. To remain tax exempt for every order, submit a blanket certificate. Additionally, any omission of information on your exemption certification (signature, date, not checking every applicable box) will result in a request for you to resubmit your request.