Target will only set up a tax-exempt account for governmental, not-for-profit organizations, and other similar entities. Target’s policy is to not sell to resellers. Thus, resale exemption certificates will not be accepted effective May 15, 2015. A properly executed and complete certificate must be provided for your account to be set up as tax-exempt.
Setting up your tax-exempt account prior to making your first order will ensure no tax is charged on the order. If you place your order prior to receiving the approval email, tax will be charged. To receive a refund for tax paid on exempt purchases, please call Target Guest Services at 1-800-591-3869.
Target + orders don’t qualify for tax exempt status, as the items are sold by Target + Partners. International orders also don’t qualify for tax exempt status. To set up your Target.com tax-exempt account:
- Create a Target.com user account by accessing Target.com or downloading Target’s Mobile application. This account can only be used for tax-exempt transactions and cannot contain capital letters. *If you have a personal account, this account must be separate.
- Email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 1-800-758-3132:
- Proof of exemption
- Company / Organization Name
- Name (Primary Purchaser)
- Postal Code
- Phone Number
- Target User Account Email Address (This will be the account you create for only tax-exempt orders)
- This email address cannot be used to place personal orders and cannot contain capital letters
- Organization Type: (Non-Profit Organization or Government)
After approval, all subsequent purchases made with the account will be tax-free as long as valid proof of exemption is on file for the state(s) where the items will be shipped. Additional documentation may be required if you ship to a different state.
- Target is willing to set up tax exempt status for multiple users within one organization. Please keep in mind that each user will need to be set up separately on their own account. If you would like to setup multiple users, please submit all of the required information for each individual user.
- Proof of exemption must include a copy of your exemption certificate or other acceptable proof of exempt status in the state where the items will be shipped per below. You'll be notified via email once your tax exempt request has been approved. It may take up to 10 business days.
Single use certificates are only sufficient for a one-time tax refund request for an existing order as a courtesy, and they are not sufficient for multiple orders. To remain tax-exempt for every order, submit a blanket certificate or other acceptable proof of exempt status in the state where the items will be shipped. Additionally, any omission of information on your exemption certification (signature, date, not checking every applicable box) will result in a request for you to resubmit your request.
Target is no longer able to accept GSA Smart Pay Cards for tax-exempt purchases on Target.com. Target’s new tax-exempt accounts are setup based on the associated Target user account email address and can no longer be linked directly to a tender type.